Grilled & Stuffed Avocados
My mom has spent the past 18 years of her life changing, adapting, doing back flips, learning, reading, and reinventing the wheel trying to make my daily fight against my own body just a little bit easier. I made some pretty massive dietary changes four years ago so that I would not have to take chemotherapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis. People in my life have been amazing, and learned so much for me. Whenever I go to my moms house for a meal there’s always something special for me to eat and I love you for that, lady.
Last time I went I was greeted by these amazingly beautiful and delicious grilled-stuffed avocados. Avocados are so good for you. Yes, they're full of fat but it’s gooooooood fat! Did you know avocados are one of the only foods you could live on forever and be ok? That, combined with the chickpeas and tomatoes makes this a perfectly balanced meal. Check them out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
4-5 avocados, halved with seeds removed
1 tbsp grapeseed or other high-heat oil
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp sriracha
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
Sriracha aioli *optional, or find/make a vegan version*
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add chickpeas, chipotle seasoning, paprika, and sriracha.
2. Cook until slightly browned. Add a bit more oil if needed.
3. Remove some of the inside of the avocado so that there is a place to put the filling. Pictured below. Keep the avocado pulp that you remove to add to the filling.
4. Mix tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper, avocado pulp, and chickpeas.
5. Grill avocados until grill marks appear.
6. Place a heaping spoonful of filling into each avocado half.
7. If using, drizzle sriracha aioli onto each half.