How to Make: Aromatherapy Play Dough
It's easy, it's cheap, and it's fun to make!
The Play-Doh you can buy smells a bit like, well... Play-Doh. This version is a blank canvas for whatever aroma you like, and it's completely edible* if someone decided their play dough "burger" looked too good not to eat (though not recommended).
Read more here about how aroma impacts our emotions, and in turn affects our hormone production!
Since dōTERRA oils are extremely high quality and cost only cents per drop, you can play with some different combinations... below you'll see some of our favorites.
dōTERRA oils: cents per drop!
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 drops essential oil*
Natural food coloring
1. Before turning on stovetop, mix all ingredients–except for essential oils–in a large saucepan. Dissolve the salt in water first if using coarser salt.
2. Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball. Scrape the bottom of your pan as you cook to make sure nothing sticks. Don't worry about lumps too much, as you can knead them out later.
Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
3. Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper. If consistency feels too sticky, add flour as you knead the dough smooth.
4. Add three drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly incorporated.
5. You’re done! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.
*This play dough is safe to ingest (though not recommended) only if using dōTERRA essential oils that are marked for internal use and have nutrition facts printed on the bottle. Please do not ingest just any essential oil–ever– as so many are cut with synthetics or contain impurities. dōTERRA oils are made from sustainably and indigenously grown plants and are third-party tested to ensure safety and therapeutic value.
For the best bang for your buck on oils as well as fractionated coconut oil, check out the kits from dōTERRA.